Thursday, August 20, 2009

HEALTH CARE REFORM REALITY

Not since 9/11 have I written in relation to current events and concerns.

My post today is in support of a rally call to each of us by Ronni Bennett** who blogs at http://ronnibennett.typepad.com/ Her call was for straight forward, rational sharing of opinions regarding health care reform. I'm writing today because, make no mistake, this reform (or lack of) will impact everyone.

I'm in support of a careful, well crafted, competitive reform of health care insurance offerings. I have personally known individuals and families who have struggled with cobra insurance. I have firsthand seen the cost and desperation caused by insurance offerings limited due to PE (pre-existing conditions). I have watched the heartbreak of 'investigational treatment' approval denied - with absolutely no right to a review - by health insurers. Few people are as aware as they should or need to be of the limitations that can be contained within their paid non-government-health care policy. If more of us were aware of the limitations and control that can be contained in numerous health plans perhaps there would be less fear of a government or co-op option.

Years ago I had a client who lived in Canada. She lost her job, but often mentioned to me what wonderful peace of mind having government health gave this difficult time in her life. More than once she mentioned that yes, she had to wait at times to be seen but at least she knew she could be seen - not something she could have afforded had she needed to 'pay as she went' for helath care. Much as medicare provides for our retired population - and what a comfort that is to many in the US. Problems tho it may have, at 65 you have a safety net for your health care, a foundation if you like because you can add layers of additional coverage if your finances allow.

I am self employed. Younger than my husband by a number of years, I wonder (actually I worry) how within the current system I'll be able to afford health care premiums till I qualify for Medicare once he retires. Much like car insurance, I'd welcome the chance to have numerous options to choose from at the least. How can competition be bad FOR US as consumers?! I'd sleep better at night (as would many currently unemployed or uninsured) if there were some basic across the boards health care plan. I'd expect to pay a good bit for top shelf coverage if I could afford it and it seems that option is not going to disappear. What I hope for is a plan that allows we mere fiscal mortals who have a limit on our budgets to obtain health care without punishing costs. Wthout dynamic increase in premiums due to our age, our health problems, income thresholds.

I'm aware that no solution or plan is without it's costs, downsides or difficulties. But it's far harder to imagine how the potential of losing everything one has by having no health care insurance (or avoiding treatment due to the same) is preferable?

So I'm hoping that all of us regardless of age, employment situation, or personal preference for health care will continue to calmly and earnestly encourage in every way we can this effort for affordable and varied health care options.

**I read her blog daily finding insight, well qualified and documented insights and humor. If you're my age (later middle aged) you'll likely gain insight and helpful information related to the years ahead. If you're older you'll likely find information that applies to here and now. If you're younger (as I know many of my readers are) don't skip viewing her blog. You'll be surprised what you may learn from the writings Ronnie shares as well as the insights from contributing bloggers. Also of great insight are the comments often posted by readers!

3 comments:

  1. Great post. Well said. And you are absolutely correct in what you described. Affordable health care is part of freedom, the freedom to be well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the post. I really enjoyed reading it. Just wanted to let you know that there are numerous national health care systems that do allow the consummer to choose between various public insurance agencies. This makes sure that each company remain competetive, otherwise people do change their agency. Maybe the US can set up something like this as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I wonder, too, how the people who complain about the expense of health care reform don't seem to understand the expense of allowing the system to continue as it is.

    Even someone who doesn't see a moral imperative to provide everyone with access to health care ought to be able to see the financial downside of dealing with a nation of sick and helpless people.

    Mysterious, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete